Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Alcohol Burner.

An Alcohol Burner is an effective tool to have around the house, or for minimalist backpackers/hikers. There plenty of more applications but the point I want to make is this is a simple but effective tool. I got the idea from a couple of YouTube videos so I can't take credit, but I'll share my experience here. The concept is pretty simple, you want to have a base/well where your alcohol will sit. The top should be a stove type surface with holes for releasing the alcohol as it evaporates. I like to use beer can because I generally have a lot of those laying around. Any can will do as long as it's not too thin. There are several types of stoves to make, I prefer the penny type, but will also demo open and closed face.

List of items:

  1. (3) Cans - 2 Can empty, 1 can full and unopened
  2. Sharp blade (preferably from a box-cutter/X-acto knife.)
  3. Hard flat surface (I use a large tuna can)
  4. Scissors
  5. Can opener
  6. Small device to create holes ie. nail
Step One - Score around the base of the can with your blade on top of the tuna can (your flat surface). Optionally you can score around the top for later use.

Step Two - Cut the can in half with your scissors. Then cut slits down the can to the point where you scored, evenly space them so you don't overlap on any of the previous cuts. Make sure you don't cut beyond the score  or you can weaken the can.

Step Three - Bend the tabs down into the bottom of the can. Then run your thumb and forefinger around the score so that you will weaken it. Bend the tabs back out of the can. If you have trouble with them coming off, just wiggle the tab so that the area around the score is flexing, it should pop off with some effort.

Step Four - Make holes around the piece you designated as the top of your stove to allow gas to escape. They should be evenly spaced.
  • If you are making a penny burner, make sure that there are holes in the piece designated as the top to allow for easy pouring. See the middle picture in the last set at the bottom of the page.
  • If you are making an open face, after you have created the holes, run the can opener along the top of the can to cut away the piece.
Step Five - Prepare the bottom of the stove, by carefully placing it on the bottom of your full can. This should stretch it out slightly to help with piecing them together. Prepare the top by bending in two sides. You should be ready to place the top and bottom together. This part can be tough, I suggest you use one of the tabs you bent off the can to act as a sort of shim.

That's the end, I'll leave you with a few helpful tips. These stoves can get really warm, if you can't see the penny on my stove (the final picture at the bottom) it's actually lost all it's shape and formed to the curve of the can. With all the stoves you need to warm up the alcohol to an almost boil before it will fully turn into a stove. I suggest developing something that works for you. I created a stand to sit over my open face stove that will then heat my penny stove until it's ready to be lit. I've also resorted to "splashing" some alcohol on the outside of the stove to heat it up (THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED) I have burnt myself several times doing it and this is why I created the stand and open face stove.

Please comment, or email me with suggestions/tips.

Eric@TCS










    No comments:

    Post a Comment